Wednesday, April 1, 1998

Property owner should be disgraced

  It will be too late when we read about some tragedy connected to the

    place. Why should society care much about the kind of people who end up

    living above cheap bars - so convenient for their life style. What

    difference does it make if one day they are all burned alive. So much

    human rubbish consumed in the fire.

       I had not seen my friend Mike since his mother's funeral. She liked

    to drink. He likes to drink . It was very clear to me at the memorial

    dinner that the whole family was alcoholic. The rather attractive woman

    sitting next to me ( she would not be " pretty" much longer I thought )

    did not touch her food; she just drank the beer. An older brother was

    near delirium tremens. And I learned that he died not long after the

    mother's funeral. I know if Mike were starving, his last $5.00 would be

    spent on booze.

        Still he has always been my friend and he understands friendship.

     When I met him this morning in Pawtuxet Village we went for coffee in

    a nearby restaurant, while his drinking companion girl friend went

    apartment hunting.

        He showed me his room above the Gaspee Lounge. What  squalor ! What

    a fire trap. And for $70. per week ! The owner of the rental property

    there should be ashamed of himself !

       A friend of Mike - a retired fire fighter- warned him the dump was

    a fire trap. " Get one of those rope ladders ", he advised.

       I just want the public to know. I owe that to my alcoholic friend !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron