Wednesday, August 30, 2000

Ban smoking at bus stops

A non-smoker waiting for a bus - sometimes as long as

    one-half hour -  must share " personal space " with cigarette

    addicts.  It can be especially TOXIC in a bus shelter on a rainy

    day  . Consider the case of frail and elderly heart attack victims

    or anybody with a lung condition or pregnant women ( here the addicts

    are even poisoning the FUTURE ! ).

               Sometimes I think smoking itself is a character disorder.

    Just an hour ago on the Reservoir Ave. bus  the bus driver suddenly

    asked me , the only passenger : " Mind if I smoke ?  "

              Not being a complete hard ass on this issue, I said

    to him : " If you got to smoke, you got to smoke ". But

    I thought he was undermining his own authority by breaking the

    visible NO SMOKING rule.

                Of course the Reservoir Ave. bus - with its routine

    stops at the state prison , mental institution, homeless shelter -

    can stress out a saintly bus driver.

           Leaving the bus, I told him my brother Mike is a bus driver

    and had his route a while back.

              "  Mike who ? "  he asked . I said  Mike Ruggieri.

          " Oh yea the DEAF  GUY ! "   My brother wears  two

    hearing aids but I prefer to think of him as " THE GUY WITH THREE

    LITTLE GIRLS TO SUPPORT . "

            Smokers are such INSENSITIVE SLOBS - except for all my

    friends and relatives and co-workers who just have a bad habit

    and demand my sympathy.

                BAN SMOKING AT BUS STOPS !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron