Thursday, August 24, 2000

Needed- SOMEBODY to spit on

On the bus this morning I observed a young black male

    wearing head phones - perhaps a URI student - taunting

    from the safety of the back seat of Bus 66 a young

    " Aryan " looking derelict on the sidewalk. The sullen blonde

    kid had moments earlier asked me for a cigarette or change

    - " for the homeless ". I don't smoke , I told him , and

    " I have to go to the bank ".

            I wondered about the  real background of the kid who

    reminded me a little of a troubled nephew who visited

    Germany recently with visions of heroic Nazis dancing in

    his head. And a race war Apocalypse.

           The black " scholar " ( ? ) teased him from the

    open window : " Get a job... get a job ! "

          For me this was all a little amusing. I said to

    the black youth : " Well when your THAT poor , you should

    at least give up cigarettes . " But I also thought :

    " Do we all need SOMEBODY to look down on ? "

           Is contempt for certain others mentally healthy - a

    sort of psychological safety valve ?

           I think not. The black youth said that the kid

    could at least work at McDonald's . But it is good

    to trust the people who make your hamburgers !


             On the bus I read a 1950s science fiction story

    about an alien  alone in a flying saucer who finds

    only loneliness in the immensity of space. But the

    FBI cannot even guess his " secret " .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron