Wednesday, September 25, 2002

Sainthood for Evita Peron too ?

Being a Catholic by fate if not by piety, I keep up with

    Church affairs by reading " The Providence Visitor ". I do recommend

    reading this weekly for a balanced view on the sex scandals.

             Yesterday I was amused to read that the famous Catholic

    TV personality and Church scholar-or propagandist- Archbishop Fulton

    J. Sheen is being considered for sainthood. Catholic baby boomers-

    who experienced the golden age of The Church in America - will never

    forget that guy with his piercing, pious look - and that blackboard

    with short notes on it suggesting that for this mighty intellect

    Hell fire was as real as global warming is for the Greens today.

               I don't know what my opinion might be worth in the higher

    circles of the Church. But I think that Argentina's legendary " Evita "

    - Eva Peron - who did more for her poor people than Mother Teresa -

    is a more credible candidate for sainthood than  Fulton J. Sheen -

    whose fierce anti-communism at times made him seem more loyal to

    capitalism than Catholicism.

              " Evita " had the heart of the saint  -even if certain

    cynics would brand her as the patron saint of prostitutes.

              Next time I visit LaSallette, I will light a candle for

    my  kind and lovely " Evita ". Saint or no saint, the death of a

    beautiful woman is always the stuff of great poetry.

         "... Santa, Santa Evita ! "

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron