Thursday, December 6, 2001

Feeling my Leftish-ness ( DeGroot article )

After reading Gerard J. DeGroot's  article " Feeling My American-ness "

    in the Christian Science Monitor, I 'm feeling : "I'm a liberal and the

    British left is perking me up ".

                But he is right about a number of things - like this dulled

    sense of EVIL on the left. They  no longer have the long view of history,

    mindlessly scorn Western Civilization and foolishly idealize the oppressed.

              I wish George Orwell were alive to comment on the present world

    crisis.  Unlike many of my comrades on the left , Orwell had  the gift of

    instantly recognizing HUMBUG . Also too many leftists have become  rather

    pretentious  and humorless in not recognizing the Absurd, the  utter

    indifference of the Universe to the human heart.

                   Let's try to make this a better world - or at least a less

    horrible one. But let us not pretend like old fashioned Marxists that the

    cosmos is on our side.

                  And thank God for left-wing Jews. They are the salt of the

    earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron