Monday, December 18, 2000

DRAFTED in middle age - a nightmare


                They found me hiding under the bed in my apartment

    - pathetic coward that I am . It had been five years, but they

    caught me. The scene at  THE TRIAL was right out of KAFKA. But

    still I had my own lawyer, a personal friend. He advised me :

          " You got to grow up sometime ,  Ron. The best way to

    deal with this nightmare is with a spirit of resignation."

           " Yea , but  I still dread  the DRAFT. It's not fair now! "

           " Soon you will have to face that great umpire in the sky.

    And what will you have to say for yourself then ? "

                 In cold cowardly panic I signed on the dotted line.

          Just hours later I found myself in  left field at Dodger

    Stadium. A crack of the bat... a fly ball was coming in my direction.

    I  fell down  in front of the wall - but I caught the ball !

                Then I woke up , still in the Twilight Zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron