Wednesday, July 19, 2000

Ohlemeyer's view not ridiculous

Thanks to a conscious CHOICE  when I was a teenager -

    and honest popular magazine articles ( " I Am Joe's Lungs " -

    Reader's Digest ) , I never became  a cigarette smoker .

            In vain  I urged my own father to quit. Smoking

    was a factor  , I believe, in his mortal illness . True

    enough,  tobacco is highly addictive - just as alcohol.

             Still I find myself oddly in agreement with

    William Ohlemeyer of Philip Morris that the recent

    Florida verdict  against the tobacco industry -

    $145-billion punitive damage award is rather outrageous

    ( USA TODAY ,July 17 ) .

             That sum of money is best invested in a national

    health care plan , not rewarded to  cigarette addicts

    out of sympathy for their plight.

            Imagine becoming almost prosperous as a result

    of life-long bad habits -  habits avoided by the brighter

    half of the nation !

           Also a jury in Florida has no right to redistribute

    the national wealth in a grand way. THAT must be done

    a little more democratically by -YES - BIG GOVERNMENT.

    And done a little more efficiently.

            I myself am addicted to the Welfare State. Loved

    THAT MAN - FDR !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron