Thursday, May 18, 2000

Greatest invention of all time ?

 Last night a book on display at the William Hall library in

    Cranston caught my attention just as I was about to exit: " The

    Greatest Inventions of the Last 2000 Years ". I quickly reflected

    on how an advance in technology, a new useful invention will change

    human life more dramatically than mere preaching , the blow hard

    politics of the Left and the Right , TV evangelism .

            I checked out the book. But  on the steps of the library, I

    realized that I had left behind my reading glasses on the library

    shelf. Of course PRINTING was ONE of the greatest inventions of

    all time , but what use was it to me unless I could READ it ?

             I went back into the library mumbling that I left

    behind one of the great inventions - reading glasses.

         Sure enough  one of the writers in the book agreed with

    me. But just WHY were reading glasses such a great invention ?

          The answer : It enabled people past their dotage ( over

    40 ! ) to continue to be an influence in the community, to be

    more or less insufferable leaders !

           Did I ever  think : " Don't trust ANYBODY over 30  " ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron