Thursday, June 3, 1999

The Horror downtown

A very different column this morning. I became
very familiar with " Downcity decadence " while
working a job on the second shift. I don't want
to be unfair to the guy- but a lot of the wild eyed
barbarism that I beheld at the bus stop -near The
Strand - was a Rich Lupo Production.

Let's face it : UNCIVILIZED entertainment
attracts the UNCIVILIZED crowd.

I did frequent the quieter Old Lupo's Heartbreak
Hotel where my buddies served as bouncers and
bartenders.It was even back then the opposite of
" a clean well lighted place ".

A girl I knew was raped under a table there. And
the two bouncers - both named Ray - shot themselves.

Glad to hear you sold your car to a " very pretty
teenage girl from Seekonk ". I gave away a Buick in
good condition that a widow willed to me a few weeks
ago. I gave it to my brother Michael whose car was
stolen by Rhode Island's finest last year. He has
three little girls to support and a pretty wife who
mainly likes to shop. Very soon " Debbie " will
discover the Providence Mall!

Have a nice day, Dave. I hope people stop picking
on you for your love of classical architecture !



- - - - - - -

response from Dave Brussat:


Ron - Thanks for your kind note. I think Cianci has to realize that
this is a problem if he wants downtown to cater to more than just
itinerent artists (not that there's anything wrong with that kind of
artist, as we all are at the start, at least). And you don't need to
worry that modernists who complain about my classicist opinions will get
me down - they only get me to snarling at them the worse! And I'll bet
that Brown, now that the old Haffenreffer has died, is drooling at the
idea of using his money to hire a glitzy Fifth Avenue architect to build
a monstrosity that College Hillers will hate rather than merely
rehabbing a beautiful old building that already exists. How boring! The
new Brown president increasingly strikes me as a fraud and mountbank.
- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron