Thursday, May 20, 1999

Prayer at URI

OK it is a tired headline: " Priest calls for prayer at URI

    graduation " ( Providence Journal, May 20 - page B1 ).

         Of course , Steve Brown of ACLU disagrees with the Rev.

    Joseph D. Creedon.

          Speaking as non-believer ( not quite an atheist ), I must

    say that I am getting more and more fed up with MILITANT atheists

    who have convulsions whenever God's name or Holy Scripture is

    invoked. Does this cranky minority have a " divine " right

    to stifle the religious instincts of the majority ?

          A society needs some moral glue to hold it together -

    even if it is just enchanting and inspiring STORIES.

        Perhaps what we need in this public prayer controversy is

    a LIBERAL interpretation of the constitutional separation of

    Church and State.

          Again and again I find myself in  a church for a wedding,

    a funeral ,or a baptism. Out of politeness I stand and kneel

    with the congregation. I am respectfully SILENT during prayers.

        As long as the pious sheep do not turn Inquisitorial on

    me, what do I care ? There is even a certain aesthetic beauty

    to the hymns and rituals.

         Just yesterday I attended a close friend's memorial mass.

    I had a very real - if not mystical feeling - that he had found

    peace at last.

          Fanatical atheism is as ridiculous and arrogant as fanatical

    religious faith.

         So - Let us pray !  Or at least, let THEM pray !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron