Saturday, September 5, 2026

Albert Camus quote on loving your country in justice ?

[ " Albert Camus quote about loving your country in justice? " ]8:55 AM"And I should like to be able to love my country and still love justice." [1] (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1031431-and-i-should-like-to-be-able-to-love-my)This famous quote by the French-Algerian philosopher Albert Camus originates from his work Letters to a German Friend, a series of essays written and published underground during the Nazi occupation of France between 1943 and 1944. [1] (https://casdinteret.com/2021/11/albert-camus-letters-to-a-german-friend-warning/), [2] (https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/object/nmah_1916255)The Full ContextIn the essay, the quote appears as part of a philosophical debate between Camus and a fictional German friend, contrasting blind nationalism with a patriotism rooted in morality: [1] (https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/object/nmah_1916255), [2] (https://casdinteret.com/2021/11/albert-camus-letters-to-a-german-friend-warning/)"There are means that cannot be excused. And I should like to be able to love my country and still love justice. I don't want just any greatness for it, particularly a greatness born of blood and falsehood. I want to keep it alive by keeping justice alive." [1] (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/19664-there-are-means-that-cannot-be-excused-and-i-should)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron