Inspired from youth by Albert Camus' sense of the Absurd, I try to be a voice for REASON in the growing darkness and moral insanity of global capitalism .
Friday, August 28, 2026
Amusing column from QUORA begins : " " I'm 69 years old and I cry everyday knowing that I'll die soon and get erased forever or I will not have consciousness " . [ We all have our problems, don't we ? ]
Profile photo for Dee Dees
Dee Dees
·
Follow
Owner9y
[I'm 69 years old and I cry everyday knowing that I'll die soon and get erased forever or will not have consciousness. What can I do to get mental peace?
I think that’s the saddest question I’ve ever seen here. You say you’ll die “soon”, so I don’t know if you’re using “soon” because you’ve lived about 2/3s or 3/4s of your life, or because you have a terminal disease and have only months to live. I’m going to address the question first as if you’re just worried about dying in general, and later I’ll talk about if you have been given weeks, months, or years to live.
If you’re currently in decent health, you could live another 30 years. Do you want to spend 30 more years doing what you are now? The first thing I would suggest is that you start living! You’re wasting away what years you DO have left.
I’m 73 and don’t even think about dying. I’m in a community with lots of friends, do water aerobics every day, go to Happy Hour with my two BFFs once a week, travel when I can, volunteer, ride my bike, read, write, take watercolor painting classes AND take care of my 84-year-old husband, who, with congenital heart disease, very well may not live more than a few more years. But even he spends more time “doing” than worrying about it.
To get the mental peace you’re looking for, don’t spend every day thinking about dying and crying over it, spend every day doing something you love to do. If you can’t think of anything you love, go looking for it!
Take a class in something you’ve always wanted to try.
Go somewhere you’ve never been, even if it’s in your own town or state.
Volunteer somewhere.
Find some physical activity you enjoy, even if it’s just walking or swimming.
Read about places you’ve never visited.
Research a topic you’ve been interested in.
Make friends. Join a church or a club if you need to meet new people. ]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”
Ron