Tuesday, April 25, 2000

Vietnam era memory

With my my " misfit " discharge from the Navy at age 17 , in

    1965 , I guess I was lucky . " We don't want guys like YOU in

    our organization" , I was told . " They'll fuck it up ! ".

           When the Vietnam war escalated, guys like me - and Bill

    Clinton ? - were free to protest its growing horror.

          The Providence Journal published two letters of mine headed

    " My  Draft Card is in Ashes " - which I now think was a little

    dishonest. What chance had  the " misfit " of being drafted ? -

    and a letter with the heading " Dying for a Colossal Lie ".

           I don't regret being in those huge protests in Washington

    D.C against the war - the PEACEFUL ones : " BRING ALL THE TROOPS

    HOME NOW ! "

            I voted twice for President Clinton  just BECAUSE he

    was a Vietnam war protestor. I never thought a " hippie commie "

    could make it all the way to the White House. " Only in

    America ", I reflected when Bill WON the election.

             I only regret that his national health care plan did

    not succeed as well as " OUT NOW ! " did.

          Today I am NOT anti- military - just wary of other Vietnams.

           The Oliver Stone movie " Born on the 4th of July " moved me

    very much. That's how I remember it.

          PEACE !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron