Wednesday, November 4, 1998

Year 2000 computer glitch

So our brilliant computers lack common sense! Would any ordinary

    accountant have a problem adjusting his records to the year 2000 ?

           Would anybody dependent on computer data REALLY have a big problem

    dealing with the year 2000?  Would any client actually have to explain

    -confronted by a confused computer screen - what year it really was ?

          I recall my personal experience with computer idiocy : I explained

    to a librarian over the phone that I had indeed returned the video " Hoffa "

    ( a hero of mine ? ) to the library. " On no , " she said , " THAT INFORMATION

    would be in our computer. ".  Not until I went to visit her in the audio-

    visual dept.- and SHOWED her video right under her nose - did she understand

    that the computer was indeed wrong. I suspect that she has resented me ever

    since.

             This morning I read in the Providence Journal (Nov. 4, A7 ) that

    a computer in Switzerland ordered a 105 year old woman to attend kindergarten!

          The computer could only understand the last two digits of her birthdate.

          I suppose the same computer glitch ( with the year 2000 ) will could

    start sending out social security checks to five year olds . All sorts of

    crazy things might happen. 

             How right was my old Latin teacher who use to mutter : " TIME IS


    OF THE ESSENCE ! "

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron