Friday, August 14, 1998

RIPTA RIPP-OFF !

I applaud your recent editorial on RIPTA .This morning I

    must scold RIPTA while it is in the very process of reforming


    itself. I am a regular user of the bus, living on Church Ave. in

    Warwick. But I started using passes just last month. Believe me

    I appreciate the convenience and the money saving. But I soon

    learned that Rhode Island is behind many other states in its

    public transportation services. Naturally !

           My friend Tommy, who has been living in Austin, Texas , tells

    me they have a one-zone system there. And a lot cheaper. In Rhode

    Island you now pay $34.50 for a two zone pass, about $45 for a three

    zone, and about $65 for a four zone pass covering the whole state ( no

    big deal ! ) .

         I understand this will change in October, hopefully for the

    better!

         Today I had my own memorable experience of the stupidity of

    the present zone system.For this month of August I bought a one

    zone pass. That means I must pay an extra $00.65 to get downtown.

    That does not seem too unreasonable. But today I was a little

    shocked to learn that the zoning has little to do with DISTANCE !

           A rude bus driver did not help. Is rudeness a qualification

    for the job ?

           Getting on the bus that stops at Church Ave, Warwick about

    five past eight-heading toward downtown Providence - I told the

    driver that I would get off at St. Paul's Church. I showed him

    my one zone pass. When I was about to get off near St. Paul's

    Church, the bus driver said -as if I was trying to get away

    with something - " You owe $00.65 ! " 

           Shocked and embarrassed - I had no change - I told him

    that I have never gone one mile on a bus and had to pay $1.65 .

       " But you crossed the ZONE ! " he said . Did he mean the

    Twilight Zone, I thought.

          " I'll pay you tomorrow ", I said sheepishly.

       You cannot catch this Warwick Ave. bus if you are in Providence

    after 8 o'clock. Imagine a main street like Warwick Ave. off

    limits to bus riders so early in the evening !

          Is this a form of curfew  for the inner city residents ? If

    I were a black or hispanic person living in Providence, I would

    conclude that I am UNWELCOME IN WARWICK ! The lack of a car is

    evidence of a certain deplorable shiftlessness. I just do not

    measure up to White Warwick's Finest !

         Paranoia or the simple truth ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron