Thursday, September 25, 2014

Cigarettes- outrageous tax on poor people

      I am very lucky that I never started to smoke. I grew up with those insidiously seductive commercials on TV. I think I puffed on a cigarette just a few times. For me it was not Springtime Again.  A veteran RIPTA bus rider, studying the people in Kennedy Plaza almost every day, I observe that cigarette smoking is mostly a habit of the poorest of the poor.  Obvious derelicts ask you , beg you, for a nicotine fix. Some take  filthy ( diseased? ) butts  right from the gutter. Many poor people must spend a huge chunk of their income on cigarettes. And so needy are they for tobacco, I wonder if they are not at least petty thieves.
        George Orwell pointed out in " Down and Out in Paris and London " that it is only to be expected that poor people will not easily give up the little pleasures in their wretched life. When you consider what  a person on SSI gets per month - just a few hundred dollars- it does seem to be " cruel and unusual punishment " for a cigarette addict to pay so much for his daily fix. I'll bet he or she pays almost as much in public housing rent.
             If we legalized most popular drugs - and modestly taxed them - the smoking poor could get some merciful relief. Or they might discover a less lethal alternative to nicotine.
      The war on drugs is an absurd and costly failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron