Wednesday, March 18, 1998

Vinyl siding- who will know ?


          Reading John Howell's article today, I reflected that I do understand *    

    why the seemingly soporific " issue " of vinyl siding on a 163 year old

    " classic "  Warwick Central Baptist  Church - located in the Apponaug

    Historic District - can indeed  arouse " controversy and hours of heated

    debate ".

         I understand that economic necessity is big factor here but the aesthete

    in me is repelled by vinyl siding on a picture perfect, old fashioned, little

    white church. I would have the same reaction if I read that the green grass

    at Fenway Park would be replaced by that horrid artificial turf . Who will

    know ?

        I suppose I can wear a polyester suit to wedding ( high quality ) and

    actually impress the tasteless ( the majority nowadays ?) .  But a crime

    has been committed against the Artist in us . We long for the inspiration

    of the  DEAD PAST .

        In a memorable scene in the movie " The Graduate ", Dustin Hoffman is

    told in one word where to find the promising future : " PLASTICS ".

        It is, of course, advisable for young people on the fast track to

    possess completely " plastic " personalities. A  strong character of

    their own may prove a hindrance to the blessed state of SUCCESS.

        Who will  know ? Who will know how empty and phony our lives

    have become - in so many ways ?

       About 10 years ago I made a nostalgia driven visit to my old

    neighborhood in Washington Park , Providence. Here now we have BLIGHT

    with a vengeance! But the saddest sight for me was the old house where I

    lived for 17 years - 315 California Avenue. I remember the wooden clapboards

    painted a respectable gray, then an attractive aqua blue, then bright

    white color. My nostalgia trip was totally ruined by the dull yellow

    vinyl siding . It depresses me to think that it is there to stay - year

    after year. The same cheap and drab sight will greet me when I am a very

    old man - if I get there, of course.

         I cannot condemn the present residents who had this done. But I

    feel a loss. as the Scot Fitzgerald character in " Winter Dreams ".

         There was something beautiful in the PAST and now it is gone

    FOREVER !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron