Monday, May 12, 2014

Inexcusable neglect of mentally ill girl

I think I should relate this incident that reflects on our dysfunctional mental health system  while it is still fresh in my mind. Just before 5:00 pm( Monday, May 12 ) the RIPTA BUS 29 stopped at the Kent Hospital bus stop in Warwick. Soon I was hearing hysterical crying . And a woman across from me explained that it was a young female just discharged from the " psycho " ward. " In that condition ? " I asked.  We both agreed that something was wrong here. The disturbed female continued to cry hysterically all the way to the Warwick Mall bus stop - where I last observed her squatting down in the shelter.
            For a moment I wondered if I could get a coherent story from her. But I had to catch the very next bus to Cranston.
              Isn't a young female in this state of mind extremely vulnerable to even more neglect and abuse? Why was she not calmed down before being discharged ? Why was there no protection here ?
           Am I just being an old busy- body ? Our so called mental health professionals should be ashamed of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron