Sunday, August 8, 1999

Love that RIPTA web site !


            I'll bet  Mr. Downtown himself wrote the editorial today:

    " RIPTA's wonderful Web site "   ..." a joy to use. "

           I discovered this Web site a few months ago. With my

    $35 dollar bus pass that gets me all over BEAUTIFUL Rhode Island -

    without the headache of car ownership - that RIPTA Web site makes

    me think: the gods are getting kinder !

          How convenient it is to be out at the URI library and find out

    in a second when I can catch the next shuttle bus to charming -and

    wonderfully named - Galilee fishing village. Or the next bus to Newport-

    where a bus will take me right to gates of the famous Newport Mansions.

         I once tossed a penny on the lawn of the " summer home " of

    Cornelius Vanderbilt - for good luck !  Those Robber Barons at least

    had great taste - even if the whole world had to pay for it !

             If you avoid the expenses of a car - you might be able in 40

    or 50 years  -to rent The Breakers for a summer night.

            Avoid the fuss -take the bus !

- - - -- -  - - -- - -
response from Dave Brusat:

Ron - No car? Welcome to the club! Rather maybe you should welcome
    me to the club. As you may know (since you seem to read the paper pretty
    closely), I sold my car at the beginning of June. I fell immediately
    into a romance with someone from Johnston, and so there have been times
    when I regret not having a car - but so far I do not actually regret
    having sold the car, whatever the little inconveniences. Avoid the fuss,
    take the bus - that's a good motto. How about "No car, no care"? That's
    my motto, for reasons you already are aware. But did I write the edit
    about the RIPTA web site? No, Froma Harrop did. BTW, I can't recall
    whether that site trucks in this increasingly common flaw, but the web
    site described on the front page of the Journal one day last week does.
    The site is mass-exodus.com, and the flaw is putting all type on a dark
    background, which makes it difficult to read. What is the purpose of
    this? I can only imagine it's the programmer's version of the ladies fad
    for black clothing. Any ideas? Go figure! - Dave


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron