Saturday, December 13, 1997

Care-less Carlos and "Ia revolucion"

Terrorist Carlos the Jackal to stand trial for 1975 murders

I know very little about this Carlos, the international terrorist, character. As a member of his generation, it is clear to me that he- pitiful as he now is - was shaped by the late Sixties.

I was warned before going to an anti-war rally in downtown Providence by my "petty bourgeois" newsman brother that it was completely controlled by communists. At the time I was innocent of left wing politics - just anti-war.

The rally -for the time - was peaceful enough. No bomb throwers in sight. In the Sixties you learned that lunacy was relative. There was the lunacy of the RIGHT - completely abhorrent - and the lunacy
of the LEFT- often forgivable.

After the rally a leaflet invited me to a meeting on the bastion of radicalism - the Brown University campus. To be debated: "Leninism vs. Stalinism"

Within a few months I was speaking the language of American Trotskyism myself. Today I am still rather fond of the "Old Man" but it does not seem likely that his theory of Permanent Revolution will be verified.

I am deeply grateful, however, for one of his propaganda pieces : "Against Individual Terrorism".

Leon Trotsky absolutely would have rejected the Carlos delusion that a few well aimed shots - and a few grandiose explosions - can make the world a more just place.

What is the use of POLITICS if dynamite can do the job? I feel sorry for you Carlos - and for your tragic victims !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are courteous, concise and relevant are always welcome, whether or not they agree with the views expressed here or not. Profanity is not necessary. Thank you for reading “Time Enough At Last!”

Ron